Sunday, March 8, 2009

Daring rescue made possible by Priesthood and prayer




After 48 gruelling hours of cold and hunger Chester, who ended up in the neighbors tree because of diress, was rescued by the heros of the Branch and family. Chester is such a stuborn cat! He cried and wanted to come down but he wouldn't try. I spent a sleepless night hoping that he would be down in the morning. However, my wishes were not granted. Sunday morning dawned cold and clear. Chester had not moved from his perch. I was so torn, should we call the fire department or be patient. Patience won out, actually, Keith and I both needed to be at church. We were the speakers, organist and S. S. teacher. After services, Steve, the #1 son in law, brought his sturdy ladder and ingenuity. However, the deed was not completed this first try. The tries at this time ended up sending Chester up higher into the tree. Keith, Tonya, Kathy, Steve's mom and myself had stood under the tree with a big yellow tarp to catch the cat, but all we caught was a long stream of urine when the cat was scared up the tree to the next branch. We all needed a break and so after 3-4 hours rest, I bundled up in my warm coat, it was chilly despite the sun, and sat on the steps of the neighbors deck and talked to Chester and Heavenly Father repeatedly. I wondered if cats have guardian angels since they have 9 lives. I tried to talk to my guardian angel and asked him/her to nudge the cat down the tree to the next limbs. Chester did stand up to rest from sitting with his front paws on one branch and back paws on another branch and walked around the trunk of the tree. His cries were pretty weak and he appeared to be fading. I tried talking to him, throwing pebbles at him, showing him water and telling him he could have a drink if he came down. After about an hour Tonya and Steve came over again with a brilliant idea: create a noose to go around Chesters' neck and hopefully onto his body. Then he could be pulled down. "The best laid plans of mice and men, often go Arri" Chester walked around the tree truck and the noose came off his neck. He didn't go up any higher though. I ran into our house and called Kevin Dickson, to bring over another tall ladder so I could climb up the other side of the tree and grab the cat. What Kevin brought along with the ladder was a long medal pipe and a fishing net. Steve was on one side of the tree and Kevin on the other side. Chester was in the middle of the two growling at the noose that had come off his neck and very unhappy about the net that blocked his way around the tree. After many tries, much patience and a few, "stupid cat", Chester was maneuvered into the net. Steve came down the ladder and I went up. I put the hood of my coat over my head in case Chester decided he didn't like me after all the pulling and prodding. He settled into my arms and we went back to the house. Needless to say, Chester started to eat as soon as he was put down by the food. My heros of the day are the priesthood and prayer. Chester is now asleep and life is calm again. Thanks Steve and Kevin!!!! Thank you Heavenly Father.

No comments:

Post a Comment